The RC2014 Classic II Z80 Computer Kit is the evolution of the original RC2014 Classic. It is a modular Z80 based retro computer kit which evokes the spirit of home computers in the late 70s and computer revolution of the early 80s. It is not a clone of anything specific, but there are suggestions of the ZX81, UK101, S100, Superboard II and Apple I in there.
- Z80 CPU
- 8k ROM with Microsoft BASIC and SCM Monitor ROM
- 32k RAM
- 7.3728 Mhz
- 6 pin FTDI compatible header
- Connect over TTL serial at 115,200bps
- 8 slot backplane with 3 free slots
- RC2014 Standard Bus for use with many RC2014 compatible modules
- Power from FTDI cable or 5v barrel jack
- Low profile (half height) module form factor
Classic vs Classic ][
The original RC2014 Classic was designed in 2014, and having sold over 1000 units, has been the most popular kit in the RC2014 lineup to date. Whilst it is a great kit, there are opportunities for improvement. The RC2014 Classic II Z80 computer kit uses a consistent module form factor for all modules, all oriented the same way around. The PCB layout is electrically and visually better, with a generous smattering of decoupling capacitors. It comes with a better assembly guide, and easier to follow schematics too!
The core modules take up 5 out of the 8 slots on the backplane. This gives you 3 slots of expandability for things like a Digital I/O Module, or a Pi Zero Serial Terminal. If you want to take things to the next level, consider the CP/M Upgrade Kit to boost memory to 64k and add compact flash storage.
- PCB Only (No backplane) – Just the CPU, ROM, RAM, Serial and Clock/Reset PCB
- PCB Only (Inc backplane) – Full set of all 6 PCBs
- Full Kit – All PCBs, headers, sockets, passive components, ICs and printed assembly guide